Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Endings

I hate endings... usually.

Recently, I've been seeing a lot of endings form around me. Senior friends are finishing their college things and getting ready to move in a few months, Harry Potter is releasing the final movie in July, the end of my sophomore year (and my underclassman days) is quickly approaching.

The thing I hate about endings is how definite they are. My senior friends will come visit us, but I'll never see them randomly in study or coincidently going to the printer at the same time. No more Harry Potter movies will come out, at least not with Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Rupert Grint. Unless I fail all my classes, I'll never be a sophomore in high school again.

These endings scare me sometimes. It's so easy to develop a routine and I never like it when things disrupt my routine. Endings tend to do that... quite easily. But there's something else about them. They make us move on. When elementary school ended, I was forced to realize the importance of make-up and boys (except I didn't...). When middle school ended, I had to learn to actually study and do school stuff not at 3 o'clock in the morning because school was going to get hard. Now I'm trying to find a balance between those all so important boys and that very hard school.

On the other hands, endings force us into something more. If there were no endings, than there would be nothing for us to move on to and that's why endings are also such a joyous time. I love the quote at the end of Anastasia (the movie, the real story has a much sadder ending) where the Empress discovers that Anya and Dimitri have run off and gotten married. Sophie says, "It's a perfect ending." and then Dowagner Empress Maria says, "No. It's the perfect beginning." That's one thing I love about endings is that they open the doors to new opportunities and new things and of course new endings.

That's why I start this blog with endings, because the only way we come to those sad endings on graduation day is by beginning at a new high school or college as a scared freshman. So here's the beginning that resulted from the ending of one of my journals and a crazy idea to write a blog.

Stay classy
-Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment